Recently at a birthday party, I saw the cutest Family Rules Canvas. It was so neat, I decided to make one for our new house. So, here's mine:You can find the step-by-step instructions here. Here's the short version:
1. Purchase a canvas, mine is 24x30 using 40% coupon from H@bby L@bby
2. Pick out scrapbook paper (this is the most fun part!) Be sure the paper isn't too dark, as my first rule is hard to read.
3. Look at the list of rules and decide which ones you want to use or make your own.
4. Cut the scrapbook paper into various strips (I used 1, 2, and 3 inch widths) Cut two and tape them together to make one long strip since scrapbook paper is 12x12
5. Write the rules or print them off on the computer and trace over them. I just eyed them and wrote them out.
6. Paint the edges of your canvas with an acrylic paint that will match the room you're putting it in. The strips will cover the middle so don't worry about painting all of it.
7. Use Modge Podge and "paste" the strips to the canvas spacing them however you like. (The paper will curl/bubble, just try to flatten the paper as much as possible but it adds character! ;o)
8. Allow to dry overnight or a few hours and apply a coat of Modge Podge over the top to "seal" the canvas and papers. You can apply several coats about 20 minutes apart or a single coat will suffice. (Use a brush or sponge to apply)
5. Use paint pens to write the rules, you can also print them off on the computer.
Here's some pictures of the project in process: